Wednesday 8 October 2014

Art Recipe Wednesday: "Practice" - New Family Journal

Hi again, looks like it is my turn to take over this blog!
It's high time for the next Art Recipe Wednesday - and this time I have to admit the decision of what to make for you was pretty easy - I needed new Art Journal so badly!

After the last post and "Autumn Disintegration" project my old "Family Odyssey" Journal reached the point of breaking, so it was a moment to send him on his well earned retirement on the shelf. It was the right moment to choose my next victim - and luckily I had a suitable, nice book which I could turn into my next project - all I needed now was a proper, nicely altered cover...


I wanted my new book to be similar in style to the original one - so I decided to use similar techniques to decorate it although the final color palette and look had to be different - my new journal had nice, green cover and it would be a shame not to use it!


I strongly believe there is a kind of magic in old photos, books, letters - and in household objects too. It's probably changing into small obsession - it is not only my love for collection them but also changing them into something new, inspiring, interesting. Collages, journal pages, altered objects - they are all my way of showing my love to these forgotten, unwanted, underestimated objects which surround us and were important part of lives of people in the past.


The cover itself didn't need much to shine: I used a combination of Art Basics 3D Matte Gel, Mechanicals - metal embellishments I designed for Prima, a bit of color: Pigments and Inka Gold and some Art Ingredients Glass Beads to add extra texture (it is possible I'm starting to be addicted to these!).


Is there a better base for the Art Journal inspired by family photos than an old, beautiful book? The title "Workshop Practice" seems to be just perfect too ;)
I can't really wait to start to work in it - everything is set and longing for the paint, gesso, inks and a bit more of love...

Anyway - here is Art Recipe and step-by-step for this Art Journal Cover:


1. I've started preparing my background - the book cover - applying a coat of Art Basics Clear Gesso. It is a great way of creating matte, transparent base which will help your colored mediums to stay on your project with your original colors and patterns visible... so many possibilities! I dried it for a moment with heating tool and it was ready for the next step: semi-transparent texture. I used my Bubble stencil and 3D Matte Gel from Art Basics applied with a palette knife. You can also use 3D Gloss Gel with great effects - but different finishing of course!


2.  When the texture was dry enough to work on the next steps safely I started gluing the embellishments on: I decided to use one of Mechanicals Pendants I made not so long ago as a main element of the composition (you can learn how to create similar project here). I added big flourish cut in smaller pieces, a trinket, crystals and pieces from old clocks and watches - all that was mounted using 3D Matte Gel. When the big elements were in their places I finished the composition with Art Ingrediens Glass Beads (Zinc) and Soft Matte Gel in a bottle as my glue.


3. I let the elements dry and when they were ready I applied Art Basics Clear Gesso again this time only on my embellishments - to help the sprays stay better on metal elements. I used Primary Elements Pigmets with water for spraying: Black Emerald, Mystique and Pretty Peridot.


4. Finally, when the sprays were dry I rubbed Inka Gold in 4 colors (Gold, Hematite, Green Yellow and Orange) on my embellishments and background to add extra metallic shine and finishing. In the last step I added a bit of Silks Acrylic Glaze - Spicy Tomato  to boost the orange color in the composition. I sprayed the covers with fixative for extra protection. Voila!



Here is the list of the products from Mixed Media Place Shop:



I removed half of the pages out of my book to provide space for my upcoming projects...
I love the final look and I really can't wait to play!




And before I finish - one more important announcement! 
We've got our Blog Giveaway Winner - huge congrats to Steffi! 




Please contact us with your shipping address at: store@mixedmediaplace.com. 
We will be happy to send the prize to you!


I wish you all a great creative week - and see you very soon!
hugs

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Steffi, sooo lucky and what fun. This new art journal is Amazing, love the colors and elements and I actually have all the products except for the pigments, have the colors in other products. I have about 15 of the pigments that I actually have not used so I need to break them out and PLAY!!

barbara macaskill said...

GORGEOUSNESS!!! LOVE all the textures and colors!!!
A huge congratulations to Steffi for winning what I was hoping would be a birthday present to me!!! What a marvelous assortment of delicious goodies Steffi has headed her way! If she fails to contact you I would be more than happy to provide my mailing info!! LOL
Thank you for your generosity and for sharing your recipe with us!

Unknown said...

WOW... I admire how you get your things done - It looks so amazing - thank you so much for sharing

Bernie Simmons said...

Lovely Project thank you for the inspiration. x

CreativSpirit said...

This is a beautiful project, just enough embellisment to really set the old book off too. I also LOVE old books.
Enjoy using it to create your art.

Ольга Елтышева said...

Wow!!!!!

Moongirl said...

It's awesome and I can't wait to try my own book!

Heather said...

congrats Stefi, very cool for you.

Beautiful project, just amazing the amount of creativity with it. just wonderful.

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

Thank you so much for sharing. So inspirational. I love you art.
susan s

gloria vivas said...

Me gusta muchisimo!!! Me encanta, me gustan mucho los colores!!!

AgnieszkaAnna said...

przepiekne!

dekoMagJa said...

Ogromnie mi się podoba.
Pozdrawiam serdecznie

KAT said...

Inspiring! I love your new circle stencil and it's an awesome background on this book cover!

Annie said...

Thank you for sharing your amazing journal cover Ania and huge congratulations to Steffi x

famillemarleau said...

It looks amazing. I love it. And congrats to the winner. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe

Eve_is_scrapping said...

absolutely amazing!

Helen said...

Well done Steffi!

Finn, this book is just beautiful- I can't wait to see what you do next.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...